Welcome to all our new students. Surviving your first semester at college can be a daunting task. Thirty percent of college and university students drop out after their first year.
Your first semester at college also can be one of outstanding learning and great experiences. Here are a few tips to help get you through and succeed in your first semester:
- Attend orientation – You need to learn your way around campus, so attend all orientation sessions. The faster you learn your way around campus, the more at home you will feel.
- It’s all about organization – College is all about structure and professors aren’t around to babysit. It is your responsibility to remember due dates for papers and assignments. Don’t procrastinate – give yourself deadlines and stick to them.
- Get involved – Yes, you are new to the campus and may feel like a small fish in a large pond, but getting involved in campus activities gives you ample opportunities to forge new relationships. Stop by your Campus Life office to find out about clubs and organizations.
- Meet with your professors periodically – This will help you stay on track!
- Utilize Student Resources – Take advantage of the student resources on campus, like the Academic Support Center and Counseling/Advising department, to name a few. These resources are there to help you along the way and make sure you succeed.
- Eat healthy – Schedules are chock-full and meal times often are inconsistent as a result. While it is cheap and convenient to live off fast food, make healthy choices when it comes to your grub. Stay healthy by sticking to a balanced diet.
- Budget wisely – Keep track of your monthly expenses. There is a huge difference between a need and a want. You don’t want to end up with a huge amount of debt after graduation, so stay clear of credit cards if you are able to do so.